When people think of acne they think of spotty teenagers going through puberty. Hormonal imbalances can cause havoc on the young body and unfortunately, the skin is often a very common victim.
However, for so many people, life without pimples doesn’t start with the end of puberty. For many reasons, acne can continue well into adult years and unfortunately it can become increasingly difficult to treat.
Identifying the underlying causes can be a challenge, but in many cases changes in lifestyle and diet, as well as a regular cleansing routine will make a huge difference.
On this page we will take a close look at some very easy to prepare treatments. They cover a range of preventions as well as products that are very effective at clearing adult pimples from the moment they start to appear on your face.
All the products and ingredients are available over the counter and are very affordable. Once you have identified options that show promising results, you should build them into your daily skin care routine. You will be amazed at how simple solutions can often bring huge improvements.
What You Will Learn
- Top 5 home remedies for treating mild-moderate adult acne.
- Hormonal treatment and skin peeling therapy for severe adult acne treatment.
- And a precise overview of a product that can be used to effectively treat almost any stage of acne.
Four Different Methods For Adult Acne Treatment
Method #1 Natural Remedies For Adult Acne (for mild-moderate acne):
The reason why you should use natural remedies for treating adult acne is simple and clear: they’re inexpensive, and unlike the conventional acne treatments, they don’t produce side effects. And they do work if you’re suffering from mild to moderate acne. If your acne is severe, then jump over to the other method I’ve provided in this article.
Here are some handy natural remedies for acne that deserve to be given a try:
1) Making Use of Lemon:
Bacterial growth on your skin is considered to be one of the most prominent causes of acne.
So try to make a habit of drinking lemon juice frequently or apply it over the affected areas of your skin. Lemon has natural antibacterial and antioxidant properties that can turn into an efficient healing agent for your acne.
2) Wonders of Tea Tree Oil:
- Take a reasonable amount of tea tree oil and mix it with the same amount of water.
- Apply it over the affected areas and leave it for some time (about 30 minutes).
- Do this repeatedly and you’ll notice positive results.
3) Exfoliation with Baking Soda:
Using baking soda is another great natural treatment for acne as it contains an exfoliating property that can effectively help in getting rid of dead skin cells, reducing inflammation and eliminating breakouts.
- You’ll need 2-3 teaspoons of baking soda and put warm water in it to form a paste.
- Apply this paste to your skin for a time of about 10-20 minutes.
- You can also prolong this treatment for a more positive impact.
- Doing this repeatedly will undoubtedly reduce your acne.
4) Egg-White Mask:
Make a facial mask made up of egg white, which will reduce excess oil and will provide a wonderful glow to your skin.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk and apply it to your face for 15-20 minutes.
- When it becomes dry, rinse it off and enjoy your glowing skin.
Again, you have to do this repeatedly to have a long term impact.
5) Aloe Vera:
One of the best natural home remedy for acne is to apply aloe vera gel on your affected areas frequently, at least once in two or three days.
It’s more convenient to have an aloe vera plant in your home to obtain fresh aloe from it and use it with ease whenever you want.
Method #2 Hormonal Treatment For Adult Acne (for severe acne):
Hormones and acne are correlative. Further more, adult acne is often regarded as hormonal acne, which means that it results from the imbalanced hormone levels in your body.
Excess of hormones means more sebum to be made, which ensures the outbreak of acne. So controlling the abnormal activities of hormones in your body is indeed a practical approach to eliminate this skin disorder.
Women who are found to have the signs of hyperandrogenism are not able to cure their acne effectively by using topical treatments and therapies. These women are the favored applicants for hormonal treatment.
I’ll discuss the two major drug categories of hormonal treatment below.
But Bear This in Mind:
Although the drugs I’m going to outline here are mostly “over the counter” (OTCs), I highly recommend you to consult with a dermatologist if you choose to treat your acne with these medications.
A) Androgen Receptor Blockers (Anti-Androgens):
These are used to tackle different types of diseases and disorders. In women, the symptoms of hyperandrogenism can be minimized by the use of anti-androgens. They tend to be very effective in reducing acne, as androgens play an important role in the development of acne.
The three most commonly used anti androgens are:
- Cyproterone Acetate
B) Oral contraceptives:
The other effective hormonal treatment for acne is contraceptive pills. This method is favorable for the women who are interested in gaining contraceptive benefits.
However, you can never neglect the severe consequences of their usage without proper guidelines of a Board Certified Derm.
The function of contraceptives is to decrease ovarian androgen production. They effectively decrease the sebum production and, therefore, save you from severe acne breakouts.
However, they are less effective in healing existing lesions. Therefore, you should not take it as a stand-alone therapy. The few FDA approved pills are Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Estrostep, and YAZ.
Method #3 Skin Peeling Therapy (for severe acne):
This treatment is not recommended for teens or those having a sensitive skin. It’s commonly done in most of the spas and usually recommended by dermatologists. It helps in shedding dead skin cells, reduces excess oil (sebum), which on aggregate, result in the fading blackheads and whiteheads, pimples and any other acne lesion. In short, skin peeling has an endless stream of benefits.
Different types of chemical peels are available with respect to their intensity. It’s always better to start off with mild chemical peels if you’re not sure of whether or not it will suit your skin.
Glycolic acid peels or AHA chemical peels are good choices to get started.
You have to pay a reasonable cost for this therapy. The amount of money will vary from how much of an effected area you have for the treatment.
If you give it a try a few times, you can see a positive change in the appearance of your skin. But don’t try it again if your skin doesn’t positively respond to the first session because the risk of its side effects can’t be neglected.
Method #4 Misumi Skin Perfecting Cleanser For Adult Acne Treatment (for all conditions):
This is one of the most popular acne treatments around the web.
This formulas has been developed by a renowned dermatological chemist who has dominated the industry for over 25 years. Misumi is a dark horse in the acne industry.
In particular, the AHA 10% Skin Perfecting Cleanser has been gaining a lot of popularity especially for adults suffering from acne. The beauty of this cleanser is that it is as effective an acne-fighting treatment as it is an anti-aging product.
The formula incorporates Glycolic Acid 10% which is one of the best ingredients to for a deep exfoliation.
The cleanser removes, dead cells, excess oil, and impurities, helping to unclog pores and heal breakouts. Glycolic Acid is so great at exfoliating due to the tiny size of its molecules, which allows it to penetrate deep within the skin.
Unlike other harsh scrubs, you don’t even feel the exfoliation! Therefore, it won’t irritate or damage the skin and can be used as regularly as twice a day. Glycolic Acid also has amazing anti-aging properties.
This cleanser will help slough off dullness and reveal brighter, healthier, and younger-looking skin. It also stimulates collagen-building and helps to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles.
- Achieves clearer skin
- Removes impurities, sweat, makeup, and debris
- Unclogs pores
- Regulates oil production
- Smooth fine lines and wrinkles
- Reveals bright and younger-looking skin
- Boosts collagen-production
- 60 day money back guarantee
- Best to pair with your favorite moisturizer. The process of sloughing off dead and damaged skin cells at the top layer of the skin may stimulate dryness. This process is necessary to reveal the layer of healthier skin beneath.
- Pair the Skin Perfecting Cleanser with Misumi Pore Purifying Toner for optimal and accelerated results. The toner removes debris that isn’t caught by the cleanser. It also works to constrict the skin pores to prevent future clogged pores and breakouts.
Common Daily Tips to note:
- Besides all of these things, you should make a habit of GENTLY washing your face with an acne cleanser twice a day.
- You should not squeeze your pimples because it causes the spreading of bacteria, which can make your acne even worse.
- If you are addicted to cosmetics then make sure to check the non-comedogenic label on their packaging.
- If your hair is oily then you should wash it frequently to prevent oil from spreading on the skin, especially your neck.
Wrapping it Up:
You finally made it to the end. By now, you’ve learned different types of treatments you can follow to treat your acne, according to its condition.
This principle is very important because not all types of treatments work for all conditions of acne. Identifying your condition first, and then treating it accordingly, is indeed the most efficient approach to treating your acne.
Make sure to make use of the information you gained today and try to implement these methods to treat your adult acne.
And if you want to add your opinion on this discussion or want something more to be added in this article, then let me know in the comments below, I’ll get back to you ASAP. 🙂